- The UK Government unveils amended official Guidance to stay alert, control the virus, save lives.
- Follow the link for more details: PM address to the nation on coronavirus: 10 May 2020
- Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland government measures largely remain unchanged.
- For Scotland follow the link: https://www.gov.scot/coronavirus-covid-19/
- For Wales follow the link: https://gov.wales/coronavirus
- For Northern Ireland follow the link: https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/campaigns/coronavirus-covid-19
- New COVID alert system with 5 alert levels with 1 being COVID 19 no longer present in the UK and level 5 indicating a material risk of overwhelming the NHS. Covid Alert Level will be determined primarily by R and the number of coronavirus cases.
- The UK has been on level 4 over the period of the lockdown and now in position to move in steps to level 3.
- Two more things that must be done to keep the R down, firstly reverse rapidly the epidemic in care homes and NHS. And in order to control virus we must have a world beating system in contacting and testing with the UK requiring hundreds of thousands of tests daily.
- Lockdown measures will be modified but not lifted. Work from home if you can however anyone who cannot work from home are actively encouraged to go to work.
- Public urged to use the car, cycle or walk and avoid public transport where possible.
- Step 1 from Wednesday, the public will be allowed unlimited exercise, driving to other destinations and playing sports with members of the household. However must ensure social distancing rules.
- Step 2 Government targeting June 1st for phased opening of some shops and primary pupils back into school in stages beginning with reception and year 6. Secondary school pupils that are to take exams next year are to get some time with their teachers before summer holidays.
- Step 3 at the earliest by July subject to scientific advice aims to reopen some hospitality and other public places providing it is safe to do so and social distancing measures can be implemented.
- Fines for breaking rules to be increased.
- Quarantine to be imposed on people coming into the UK by air.
- The steps are conditional on the alert levels at the time.
Previous Measures remain in place:
- People should not meet with friends or family members they do not live with
- Shopping is only permitted for essentials like food and medicine
- Police have powers to enforce the rules, which include disbursements of gatherings and issuance of fines
- All shops selling non-essential goods to be closed
- Libraries, playgrounds, outdoor gyms and places of worship remain closed
- All gatherings of more than two people in public excluding those you live with are banned
- All social events are banned, including weddings and baptisms, but Funerals are excluded
- Parks remain open for exercise, however, gatherings will be dispersed
- These restrictions will be constantly reviewed
- Self- Employed will be able to claim 80% of average monthly earnings over past 3 years, capped to £2500 per month, open to those who are already self-employed with trading profits up to £50,000 a year and have a self-assessment tax return for 2019
For more information: